Counselling for Trauma and PTSD
Most people will experience a trauma at some point in their lives, perhaps because of a violent assault, natural or human-caused disasters, such as terrorist attacks, motor vehicle accidents, rape, physical and sexual abuse or military combat.
Trauma can leave a person struggling to cope with everyday life and experiencing some debilitating symptoms, such as heightened anxiety, panic attacks, flashbacks, depression, nightmares or frightening thoughts. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is sometimes diagnosed when symptoms last longer than a month.
The good news is that talking therapy can help you to recover from the effects of a trauma. In psychotherapy and counselling for trauma, I can work with you in a variety of ways, offering:
- Education to help you to understand how trauma affects the human system through the fight or flight mechanism
- Relaxation techniques to reduce anxiety
- Cognitive restructuring to help you replace catastrophic thinking with self-reassuring statements
- Space to talk about what happened and express feelings of anger, hurt, loss and distress
- Compassion, understanding and reassurance
If you would like to discuss whether working with me might help your situation and coping with the effects of trauma, please contact me on 07527 188 405.
Read about Benefits of Therapy
Back to the Issues in counselling page